Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Independence Day

For the fourth year in a row I'm in different state for the 4th of July. I've had the opportunity to travel and meet a variety of people from various backgrounds. We've celebrated the 4th with fireworks and cookouts, and this year I'm fortunate to have the day off from work. But among the festivities it's important to remember the significance of July 4th. Freedom. It's the anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It's the day our country became the United States of America.



I can't imagine living any else in the world. I believe in the American dream, that a person who works hard can make a life for themselves regardless of their background. I'm proud to have religious freedom and to not have to be afraid to speak my mind. I feel pride when I see an American flag freely waving. I feel my heart swell with pride and get teary eyed whenever I hear the National Anthem. I watch in awe whenever I see an eagle soaring through the sky. I'm extremely proud to honor those who fought for independence, and all those who have fought since and continue to today.



So as I sit here writing on this chilly July 4th morning, I'm thinking about all the reasons why I'm celebrating today. Those listed above are the most significant, but the list goes on. I plan to spend today with good friends, good food, and pride to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment